The biggest legacy of Labour and Tower Hamlets First is a community where over 20,000 families are still waiting for a home, leaseholders are being overcharged and families are forced to live in unsuitable housing. This is simply unacceptable and it has to change.
I want to see homes and communities built in our borough, and will challenge developers and housing associations to do better for local people and to protect our community. I am proud to call Tower Hamlets my home, and I want to ensure we build a better Tower Hamlets together.
As your Mayor I will:
- Ensure that a minimum of 50% of a social housing development has to remain as social housing once it has been redeveloped
- Protect our social housing provision by making sure that like-for-like replacements of the lost social housing are built in the borough
- Housing developments are built alongside infrastructure such as schools; doctors surgeries and transport links so that they are additions to our community
- Identify all empty homes in the borough and make them fit for use as social housing
- Ensure no social housing tenant in the borough is living in a home that is unsuitable for human habitation
- Investigate the treatment of leaseholders, putting an end to charging for unnecessary work and systemic overcharging of residents